View Single Post
Old 10-12-18, 06:52 PM
Mogens

Bikes: 2019 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105, 1973 Raleigh Gran Sports, 1984 Calvino Palomar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 34 Posts
1992 Wellstone Northfield

Finally a clear day to take the Wellstone Northfield out for a spin. My neighbor gave it to me towards the end of Summer. I suspect that it had been in an accident at some point because the large chainring, rear derailleur, and chain stay were bent up a bit. Someone had also made it look like a red, 1992 Trek 730 Multitrack. It took some doing to track down the original Wellstone decals; the company’s from an alternate reality where Paul Wellstone started a bike company after losing the 1990 Minnesota senate race. Maybe he’s still alive in that dimension. I swapped in different handlebars, thumb shifters (I hate grip shifts), a new rear derailleur, and some other bits. It rides really, really well. I thought it would be nice, but I’m a little giddy about it. I’d found myself pining for something that would do a little better on gravel & dirt than my racer, that had braze ons for racks, and would be a more practical errand runner. I’m not satisfied with the stem and saddle, so there’s still room for improvement. The head badge still says Trek too, so I’ll need to figure out how to handle that. Any tire recommendations? I’m looking for something that leans towards pavement but doesn’t mind cutting across a field.