View Single Post
Old 10-14-18, 06:44 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1646 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf View Post
My fingers get cold easily. So I have lots of different gloves.

I have an older pair of Marmot goretex shell gloves. It appears that Marmot doesn't make waterproof/windproof shells any more.
REI now carries a different goretex shell: Mountain Hardware.

Shell glove advantages:
I have a few sets of liner gloves, lightweight and medium weight. These are very breathable, so my fingers don't get soggy.

I can wear just the shells if the day warms up, or even just the liners.

The gloves are oversized, so it's easy to pull them on over the liners, and the insulation doesn't get compressed.

It's easy to air out the shells when I get home, and wash the liners, which dry quickly.

The goretext is waterproof, along with being windproof. I've washed the shell outsides, while wearing them, under the kitchen faucet and the insides stay dry.

The long wrist coverage works great for keeping drafts out of my sleeves.

Downsides:
They look slightly goofy to be wearing giant gloves when it's only moderately cold. But my fingers don't care.
They aren't as breathable as windblocking fleece gloves -- I switch to those if it's warm enough.
+1 on shell gloves.
I've been using Manzella shell gloves for the past several winters, with military surplus wool liners, and they work great!
The wool is stiff enough that once inside the shell, I can leave it in, and take-off / put-on the glove+liner like it was a one-piece glove.

I once tried the more expensive merino wool liners, and that proved to be a mistake.
They were much softer than the military surplus, making it more difficult to get the shell over it, and it was impossible to put on / take off the glove+liner together.