View Single Post
Old 10-15-18, 07:41 PM
cold turtle
neo-poster

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Allez Sprint, 2018 Specialized Tarmac SL6 Pro; Cannondale Slice RS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Honest question out of ignorance.........there are 3/4 races with enough prize money to even justify your gas money and Motel 6 stay?

I thought most Cat 3/4/5 race prize money was in the ballpark of gas money within 100 miles and a meal and snack. The one's I've seen on USAC local to me anyway.

That'd be a horrible motivating factor to down-cat. Unless you want some jangle around your neck and a cool picture.

Now, in golf, I've seen guys sandbag a $60 entry fee at local tournament to the tune of like $250. I haven't seen a $190 prize for first in a Cat 3 race around here. When I played golf in HS, I could make enough "money" in a couple local country club tournaments each year to pay for some balls, tees, gloves, new shoes, and other yearly consumables. It was in credits to the club, not cash, but I'd buy either what I needed or I'd buy stuff with excellent re-sale and then sell it to buddies.
I've been in too many races to count where I finished 3rd in the Cat 1 and got a smaller payout than the Cat 3 winner - usually a "sprinter" who wouldn't make it tot the line with the front group in 9 out of 10 Cat 1 races.