View Single Post
Old 10-16-18, 01:06 PM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
I have a paranoia that laces will get untied during ride and end up in my crank.
Originally Posted by Reeses
Shoes don't fit the same when you put them on at the beginning of the ride vs. towards the middle when your feet start swelling. Due to lack of on-the-fly adjustability I guess you'd have to lace them up pretty precisely with that compensation in mind to have them work throughout the whole ride?

What I'm saying is, if I lace them up tight at the beginning, they'll be too tight towards the end, no? I suppose it would have to become second nature to know how tightly to lace the shoes up from the beginning?

Is there some type of friction technology in the lace holes that prevent the laces from slipping?

Are the empires a good fit for wide feet?
Originally Posted by drewguy
I worry more about catching laces on the cranks/in the chain.
I had the same doubts for a long time. The Giro Factors were the only shoes that fitted me really well [I have shoe fit issues], but in spite of friends recommending the Giro lace ups, I did not try them. Bought and sold maybe 6 pairs of other brands [Shimano, Bontrager, Scott, Northwave, Look and others] as I did not like the fit.

Finally, succumbed and got the Empire Knits last month. WOW. Love them. The knot NEVER gets undone. Don't know why. My knots in my hiking boots get undone unless I tie them really well. These just don't. This is what Giro says on their website, I trust me, these knots do not loosen.

""""""These shoe laces are designed to be extremely durable, hold a single knot all day and provide unparalleled comfort."""""

Also, with my other ratchet/boa shoes, I would need mid ride adjustments, and I thought that I would need that with laced shoes too. Somehow, I never need to adjust on a ride. Done upto a 5 hour ride with them.

And, the laces tuck very nicely under a thingie designed for just that. They have never come out of that place too.

Should have listened to my friends a year ago, instead of going thru a string of shoes that I did not like.