View Single Post
Old 10-16-18, 03:07 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
If I was living car free, how would I accomplish this journey in 9 days and carry all the gear I need for my vacation?
After I gave up the car it took me one year to save up for a 5-month bike trip using the money I would have used for fuel, insurance, repairs, parking, etc., on my van. I also sold the van, a motorcycle, and my pop-up camper (all things I loved). I biked self-contained from New Orleans, USA to Vancouver, BC, then down the coast to Mexico. 5-months total. I brought a fishing pole and some light tackle. Seriously. I have photos to prove it.

I gave up several things I love to do, like canoeing, bow fishing, hunting, and surf cast fishing, for instance, when I decided I would be happier without a few activities if it meant ditching the gahdamn car. That was 1989. Nearly 30 years later I have no regrets. (I have also biked across the USA five times). If you don't mind being a slave to the car, or if you are rich, then you should not go car free if the car/truck enhances your life more than it detracts from it. Pretty simple.