Old 10-18-18, 11:17 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
While I take your point, your numbers are bit off. Mount Washington averages 12%. I reckon no one races that on a standard. I ride whiteface on a standard crank 10-15 times a year, but the gradient hardly varies a degree or two from 8%. though most folks I see riding it have compacts. Again, a lot of it has to do with the type of races one does, and the style in which one races. If you have a short punchy 15% section, yeah you can muscle over it with momentum. If it's extended and you're suited to higher cadence one might prefer lighter gears. If you're doing mainly flat races, or RRs without serious climbing it's mostly a non issue. I know lots of guys with 53x11s, and not a lot of guys who can effectively use them at the end of a crit for a solid placing. I used my 11 the sprint, but generally it was when I lacked popped at the end of the race to get on top of an easier gear.
This is a big reason why I'd like a 54 or 55, specifically so I DON'T have to get in to an 11. Never-minding the actual friction and science that would make more logical sense from a reasoning standpoint, but just putting my bike on a stand and putting it in a 53x11 and turning the cranks backwards...UGH. There's some restriction there.

I don't want to be in my 11. I don't even like the 12 that much for a similar reason.