View Single Post
Old 10-18-18, 08:31 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
@rhm, I take it you've used the Angelus paint before. If you were shooting for a really bright red, would it make sense to (deglaze) then paint the leather white, then topcoat with red?

I was thinking of trying this with various different hues for various imagined projects, but haven't got a leather saddle I'm willing to screw up
I don't have enough experience with the stuff to really evaluate your suggestion, but my (prejudicial) thought is no, one bottle of the right color should be all you need. Should more coats be necessary, use up the bottle. I think the bottles are sized so you'll have enough to paint a pair of (large) shoes; plenty for one or two saddles.

I painted one saddle with this stuff, a bright turquoise color that I thought might look good on my Holdsworth. The color came out a little too light, so I haven't used it

The deglazer is supposed to remove any existing finish so the paint sticks. I don't think it has any effect on the color.

So... I don't know. Go for it, and post back! I'm as curious as you are.