View Single Post
Old 10-20-18, 12:42 AM
Falchoon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
"These lights are nowhere near 100 lumens. Probably 25-30 at best, noticeably duller than Moon Comet Mk1 (rated at 35 lumens) and Cycolite Hotrod (rated at 50 lumens)."

I venture to guess that you do not own the equipment to do a valid test on the lumen output of any light. That makes it an anecdotal test which is notoriously unreliable compared to one which uses instruments to make the assessment. I don't own a measurement device either so that our comparison is based upon visual perception which can be affected by how you test them. The angle at which the light is viewed is one that easily comes to mind. I have no reason to believe that the COB used in the 100 lumen light does not deliver 100 lumens. I purchased a bunch of these chips in a variety of colors with the same dimensions and number of LEDs and they are all rated at 80 to 100 lumens depending upon the LED color. My anecdotal observation is that the lights are quite visible from a distance even in the bright sunlight of a Nevada summer.

If you check out the specs for the Moon Comet (https://road.cc/content/review/20561...pro-rear-light) it has an 80 lumen setting (not 35 lumens) for flash mode which is consistent with the output for the Raypal 2266 but slightly lower. The Raypal only has two settings and four modes, 2 flash and 2 steady. If you run them at lower settings obviously the run time is longer. For just $5 the Raypal is a damn good light.
If you bothered to read my post you would see that I mentioned Moon Comet Mk1, not Moon Comet X-Pro. Different light, different brightness/lumen rating. Apples, bananas...

Review: Moon Comet rear light | The Sticky Bidon

The Comet comes in both front and rear versions, with the front putting out a much brighter 100 lumens, while the rear puts out a paltry sounding 35. In reality, that’s plenty bright, and the way it pumps these lumens out makes it seem even brighter.
Not disputing that the Raypal is good value for money, just saying it isn't 100 lumens. True, I have no lumen measuring device, only my eyes, I can only make the comparisons by swapping the lights to/from the same bike at the same time (within a few seconds) and viewing in same light conditions and same distance and angle (allowing for slight differences in mounting angle between the lights).

My anecdotal observation is that 35lm Moon Comet is more visable that the Raypal and that the 50lm Cygolite Hotrod is more vsiable (brighter again) in the sunlight. Maybe Nevada sunlight is different to Australian sunlight...

My "Raypal" lights aren't actually branded Raypal, I am only going off your assumption from previous conversations that I've had with you that this is what they are. Maybe they aren't Raypal and maybe "genuine" Raypal are in fact 100 lumen? Mine are actually rated at 120lm, according to Fasttech! It is widely known in the cycling community that a lot of cheap Asian light manufacturers exaggerate the output of their lights. These are the exact ones I have - https://www.fasttech.com/products/8305301. I also have a https://www.fasttech.com/products/9618514 which appears (anecdotally...) to be slightly brighter than the previous Fasttech/Raypal lights mentioned above but is only rated at 100lm.