View Single Post
Old 10-21-18, 11:35 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4880 Post(s)
Liked 4,044 Times in 2,622 Posts
Originally Posted by scale

Thanks. I never found it to be heavy really. I guess it is all relative in my experience. I found it to be very nimble and comfortable for sure. Laugh and disagree if you must but i it truly was one of my favorites. One of 2 bikes that i rode regularly despite having many more over the years. This one has always gotten along with me the best out of just about everything ive ridden,
That was exactly how my '76 Fuji Professional broke. The crack started about a month before. mine broke it's first year while I was still working at the Fuji shop. I was assured that Fuji would give me a new frame when it broke and that nothing bad would happen when it did. (Mine broke in a race; no big deal except costing me a finish in the field of a 3,4 park criterium.)

I believe Fuji was specing its seat tubes a touch too short and that they were not extending through the BB shell so the shell itself wasn't supporting the tube end; just the lug sleeve. That would account for both our failures. Now, by 1978, Fuji was making Professionals that didn't break. I'm guessing the S-10-S had a much thicker BB shell and lugs and therefore the failures, while still happening, were happening decades later.

Ben