Old 10-22-18, 10:47 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
If my commute was substantially longer than it is now, which is currently 19 km one-way, then I'd consider it. Like maybe if was close to 30 km.

I, for one, though would totally welcome an influx of ebikes on the roads. It means that there's more of us. More of use means drivers have to take notice more often of cyclists, and that's good for all cyclists. Alas, I don't think that even a motorized bike is going to entice commuters to adopt this mode of transportation. People are just inherently lazy...BF'mites notwithstanding, of course.
Agreed. If it gets more people commuting in an environmentally friendly way, I'm all for it.

Do you what the rules for e-bikes are in Toronto? My understanding is that an e-assist bike (or whatever you call it when the motor helps you turn the pedals, but you must pedal to go) is legal anywhere a regular bike is. While an e-bike (as in one that has pedals as an optional back-up and the motor turns the wheel directly) is legal on the bike lanes, but not in the MUPs. Do you know if that's correct?

ETA: I'm about 11km each way and use this as part of my exercise. So, at this point I have no desire for an e-bike.