Old 10-24-18, 01:41 AM
AlanK

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by radroad
That's not quite accurate. A typical touring bike weighs between 25- 30 lbs. The typical ebike, equipped with fenders and a rack and mtb style tires usually weigh between 55 to 75 lbs. The radrover fat ebike weighs around 66 lbs. for example. A super lightweight emtb like the pivot shuttle weighs around 44 lbs. The faraday porter with a very low capacity battery, around 300 watt hours, still weighs 42 lbs.".
You don't seem to familiar with the newer mid-drive crank motor e-bikes. I'll post a review of one that could be well suited for touring below.

A good-quality mid-drive bike with a typical range of about 50-70 miles weighs about 47 pounds. And as I mentioned before, the range can be extended significantly by selectively using the power primarily or only on inclines. If you don't use power on declines and use minimal or no power on level terrain, a range of 80-90 miles is plausible. This is significant considering a typical touring cyclist travels about 40-50 miles/day.

While I'm tempted, the price is prohibitively expensive. A good touring-capable mid-drive e-bike costs a minimum of about $2800, and most are commuter rather than touring bikes.

But as with many things it's possible the prices will decrease if and as the technology becomes more widespread and less expensive to manufacture. We'll see...
https://electricbikereview.com/raleigh/tamland-ie/

Last edited by AlanK; 10-24-18 at 01:51 AM.