Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by AlanK
Originally Posted by Rob_E
I think you are underestimating the weight. From my research, I would say that the motor would be at least 10 pounds, possibly closer to twenty when you figure in related components, and the battery would be about 10 pounds as well.
More BS. The motor and battery of good e-bikes each weigh about 7-8 pounds, for a total of about 15 pounds for both. Wiring is the only additional component, which is minimal.

E-bikes also need hydraulic disc brakes and somewhat beefier wheels to deal with the higher speed and torque, but this only adds a couple more pounds, hence my original point ultimately they're only about 15 pounds heavier; 20 if you want a more generous estimate.
Great, if you've sourced satisfactory equipment that suits your needs, more power to you. But my numbers come from looking up specs of mid-drive set-ups I was considering. They are not BS just because you found lighter set-ups. I have selected higher powered motors when considering what I'd be interested in building because my priorities would be range and ability to carry a good amount of weight. Most electric bikes are aimed at the commuting market for local, short-distance travel. Can you make one work for touring? Maybe. I don't know. I did just take a multi-day trip with a guy with an e-bike, and his bike felt more than 20 pounds heavier than mine, but it's not like I put it on the scale, so who knows. All I know is that if I'm looking at hauling gear over a long distance on an e-bike, I'm probably not going to be using the weight as a deciding factor. I'm going to want a strong motor and the highest capacity battery I can fit. That's not going to be the lightest.

You have a lighter set-up that will do what you want? Great. Enjoy.