View Single Post
Old 10-25-18, 07:43 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict
^^Thank you, DQ. Indeed the saddle is a recover by forum member RHM. (Believe I have six of them by Rudi). Pricing is in range of a new Brooks but where else can one get such an artistic-handcrafted custom saddle for a bargain?!

The Gazelle project arrived as a frame and fork. I contemplated repaint or possibly powder coat - after brazing on canti brake studs. Making it a Trim - Cross Trophy model. But after trial fit of wheel - tire combos, the needed chainstay crimp for clearance and other issues, I dropped the entire plan.

This really is a mongrel fun build without concerns of original or period correct. The frame patina has grown on me, straight gauge Reynolds 531 is robust for town bike rack abuse.

The way 1950s to 1980s parts cooperate is pretty neat. Weird it seems but I do have a theme in this one -using hex head fasteners. Found some odd hollow hex bolts in my junk fasteners drawer- no idea what they're for but will make them work for the chain ring.

Rear bag support is likely Parks, though this one has no branding. I have another in use, by Schwinn and made by Parks.

The seat post mod, plus finishing to it along with the bars finish had to be matched to the Pivo stem. I rather think the look flows. BTW: Realizing the pitfall of Pivo brand stem, I do use them but drill a hole at the conical wedge slot, stress riser prevention. Yet to have a problem.

Wanted to use GB Coureur 66 centerpulls but their 'shortest' reach series are not enough. This frame was built for 700c and short reach side pulls. The DiaCompe G on hand are good enough.

Cheers-
Thank you so much for giving me fuel for further investigation. I am becoming the biggest bike geek now, and I am proud to join your ranks.

While motorbikes were cool and all, they still depend upon a substance that a) harms the environment, and b) is not guaranteed to be available into the future.

That, and the fact that bicycles are so much healthier for me has made me turn my creative efforts in the direction of human-powered vehicles. And I find that I don't miss the motors at all. It frees me to concentrate on making the maximum creative impact with the minimum of materials, if that makes any sense. The challenge of mechanical efficiency alone could take a lifetime of study. I just wish I had the time to learn how to build frames. But right now I have a job and a mortgage and debt just like most other folks, so the frame building will have to wait.

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!