Old 10-27-18, 03:58 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
What's with all the hate on patch kits? The Lezyne Smart Patch kit is like half the size of a credit card. Takes up virtually no space in the bag, and a whopping 6 grams. I'd much rather have it and not need it.
Oh, that looks good. Instant patches and a scuffing tool in a thin box.

Some years ago, I tried some instant patches (Park Tool I think) and they just didn't hold air. I didn't do any scuffing though.
Do they work reliably now? They certainly are fast and take up no room in the bike bag.

Now, I normally carry just one tube, and one CO2 + Air Chuck inflator.
The spare tube is wrapped with a rubber band in tyvek or heavy 6 mil plastic sheet. This keeps it clean and abrasion free in the bike bag.
I have a dollar bill to be folded for a tire boot. And now, I include a dollar bill sized piece of tyvek -- even stronger. Tyvek from an overnight letter envelope, or from a bike event pin-on number.

For all-day solo rides, I'll have a rack bag to carry more stuff, and I add:
Along with the original tube and CO2,
Topeak mini-morph pump. It's reliable and quite small, but slow to inflate -- it's over 200 strokes to get to somewhat reasonable pressure. That's why I switched to CO2.
A second spare tube.
A glue patch kit -- these always work, and the repair is permanent and reliable -- there's glued patches on the tubes on my bike right now.
But the glue tube eventually dries out, even if never opened. I don't keep it much more than a year.

Last edited by rm -rf; 10-27-18 at 04:02 PM.