View Single Post
Old 10-29-18, 05:14 PM
Ataylor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
Check out the Cycliq Fly12 (front) and Fly6 (rear) cameras. Designed for "incident protection", they are waterproof, integrate lights, are USB rechargeable, and have a long battery life. They're not inexpensive, but they're worth it.
I did look into them before I posted on here. The Fly12 seemed to have better image quality than the GoPro4, but I wanted to see a comparison with the 5, but no comparison videos that I could find online. Thanks, anyway, for the recommendation.

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Check to see if it can be configured to a lower resolution to save on memory usage.
Will do. Thanks.

Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
I wouldn't worry too much with memory capacity. Cards are cheap and tiny; get/carry a few.
I usually don't run my cam(s) the whole time I'm doing a century. It's off most of the time; I
switch it on if something interesting is coming up/happening:

Experimenting with this cam right now; 4K/ultra HD capable, waterproof, lots of mounts included,
comes w/ 2 batteries:
Yea', I guess I may not have many other options beyond turning it on and off. And I'll check the links following this post. Thanks.

Originally Posted by rmueller
I use several cameras, depending on what I want to capture...

Samsung Gear360 360deg cam mounted on a 1ft selfie stick on a mount from Amazon. This shoots 360 video, fairly decent resolution. Fun to watch, more of a novelty vs. a serious video cam. It also will live-stream via. my phone, which is pretty cool...haven't done that on a ride, but might be pretty cool.

Olympus TG5 mounted on a mount from Amazon (the mount is solid aluminum and clamps down tight) - This is my goto action cam. It shoots unbelievable video or stills; great image stabilization. I use Garmin Virb video editor, its a bit of a process to convert the video from the Olympus to integrate with the telemetry from my bike computer, but its worth it.

GoPro Chinese knock-of, it shoots real 4K video. This thing is tough, takes very nice video (not as nice as the TG5), battery doesn't last more than 30mins (not a problem...read on). Has its own stabilization, but I usually tune it up with the GoPro software in post.

All these cams I power with a very large usb battery pack (3 usb ports and I use 6ft usb cables), I can shoot video for several hours with all but the 360 cam (it tends to overheat after about an hour).

The last set are my cheap Chinese dual action cams, just ordered it so I don't know how its going to work out.... I'm not concerned with quality, I want two things...high tech rear view mirror as an addition to the low-tech mirror and full time video in the case of an accident. This setup will stay on the trike, perminently mounted, powered from the power pack. I ride a trike, low to the ground, hard to be seen, even with several flashing lights...never know what might happen. This cam will get powered from a usb port on my 36v17.1Ahr battery for my motor.

Memory, just make sure the memory speed matches/exceeds the cam capability and desired frame rate. Bigger is better, strike-zone is probably 128, 256Gig in terms of pricing. Most of these cams will only record 4Gig per file, but depending on frame rate/resolution you can fill 4Gig in 10-30minutes. This isn't a problem with most of the video editing software, they will combine the files for a continuous video.

Time-lapse shooting is kinda fun to watch, I usually setup one cam for full video and then a time-lapse cam just to whip through when nobody wants to watch a full video.

Ron
Thank you very much for your detailed reply. I really appreciate your help. And yea', I love time-lapsed videos as well - especially driving ones.