Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
What you linked to:
https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/51/4/211

What is says about itself:
"Quality assessment - the results of the quality assessment are presented in table 3. One study was considered to be of ‘good’ quality.20 This was the only study that could answer question nine of the assessment tool ‘Were the exposure measures (independent variables) clearly defined, valid, reliable, and implemented consistently across all study participants?’. Four studies were considered to be of ‘fair’10 ,18 ,19 ,21 and four were of ‘poor’ quality... Since no study identified the possible risk factors, most studies were of retrospective design and generally of ‘poor’ or ‘fair’ quality; the information received from this systematic review is insufficient to address the potential for prevention. Future studies are needed to describe the specific injury types and risk factors for injuries in weightlifting and powerlifting."

But it looked at the average people I was talking about? No.
"Studies had to meet the following criteria for inclusion: study population consisting of competitive weightlifters or powerlifters and inclusion of injury incidence and/or injury prevalence..."

What happened to the average people who got injured while training and dropped out and didn't become a successful powerlifter? They're not in the study.

I have yet to see a single study on what the injury rate is for regular people with an average age and regular office job. My experience is it's terrible.
Do you have any evidence, at all, that "regular" people are somehow more injury prone? If not, perhaps you should stop making that assertion. Once again, your argument of "I hurt myself so it must be bad" which is not a particularly strong one. Pointing that out isn't attacking you. It is a far worse argument than even a "poor" study, let alone the aggregate of several.

Finally, again, competitive lifters are purposefully pushing the envelope. It is far more risky than strength training for general health.

Starting off with complicated high weight lifts,
Squats, deadlifts and bench press aren't complicated.
starting those lifts off with near your max weight the first time you do them,
No program does this.
training every time at or near your max,
Virtually no one does this either.
not warming up
I'll give you this one. People should be warming up and many don't.
people who are successful powerlifting coaches etc do not train this way.
Pretty much no one trains this way. And what would you know of what popular powerlifting coaches do? Have you ever trained with one? I have.
This is what a lot of "popular" online lifting programs do
No they don't.
and probably a contributing factor to why I see everyone who jump into them get seriously injured.
You mean the two people you mention (while ignoring the people on this very thread who lift and have not been injured)?

Threads like this are a classic example of why it's a bad idea to get advice on lifting from a cycling forum (much like it's a bad idea to get advice on cycling from a lifting forum).