Old 10-31-18, 02:55 PM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
tubeless rim tape and valve problems.... help ideas needed

Ok what’s the deal with tubeless tape and valves? Is there some kinda of secret handshake or incantation that needs to be done when putting new tires on existing tubeless rims? I have been experimenting with running tubeless for the past 2k miles. When I first set them up using Stans tape and valves all was well until I experienced a side wall tear due to glass on my wife’s bike. Not a problem replaced the tyre and by the next morning it was flat. Did a water test and found the valve leaking. Now it was fine before the tyre replacement. At the local Giant shop I purchased new tape and valve (with an o-ring. Worked wonders. So when I replaced my rims (one was found to be defective) I used the Giant stuff instead of the Stans. All was well for about 1k and I needed to replace a front tyre. Did the exchange in the pm and by the am the tyre was flat again. Did a water test and found not only the valve leaking but some spoke nibbles as well. Just finished tearing apart the wheel again…. New tape and new valve and it appears to be holding.

Any ideas as to what is going on? Do you really need to change out rim tape and use new valve for a simple tyre change? Not very likely…. Maybe back to tubes