Old 11-01-18, 06:43 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
If that's how you tour, awesome. One less car clogging up the road with rubber neckers. I did not say it wasn't touring, all I said was that bikes don't have motors. E bikes are something different. And in a different category. Lots of ways to get around. One of my tours included a train, ferry , a row boat and a hitch in the back of a pickup truck ( don't ask) . Carry on.
Well, technically it depends on jurisdiction whether or not bicycles have motors. EU has very clearly defined that bicycles possessing a maximum of 250watt motor possible of giving pedaling aid up to 25kph is still considered a bicycle. So when you tour with such a bike in any EU-country you are in fact bicycle touring in every possible way and definition. And I'd go as far as to say that the law carries a lot more weight than any opinions.

If we are to however limit discussion and gatekeep with arbitrary definitions, the tour you describe in the quoted post is in fact not bicycle touring. It is traveling via motor vehicles where you just happened to have your bike with you. Not very bicycle tourey honestly.