Old 11-02-18, 01:52 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 284 Posts
Originally Posted by Citoyen du Monde
Your proposed pronunciation of Guerciotti is not correct. Paolo Guerciotti, who I have helped out before, and his whole family can confirm this. They all pronounce the "U" and the "E" separately, never as one syllable. To most anglophone ears the separation in the syllables is either not perceptible or just barely, but to an Italian it is clearly evident.

You are correct that the Florentine street pronunciation varies somewhat when it comes to hard sounds, however I would think it more correct to say that the emphasis simply moves further back in the mouth, from the front of the mouth Italian pronunciation to a more guttural back of the mouth pronunciation. The "CH" however never becomes a soft C like CH in English.

Lastly, Veneto (I speak it daily with my 98-year-old Venetian mother-in-law) is not a different pronunciation but rather different words. Nobody from the Veneto will pronounce a written word differently than somebody speaking standard Italian. They will however readily transliterate into Veneto.
Perhaps elcraft is half way correct but in reference different name?

I know of two separate Marchetti family's in that they pronounce differently. Same spelling as the bike machinery maker.

Anyways, one family uses a hard 'c' unlike the other, whom described it depends on what territory the family lineage is from. Lol