View Single Post
Old 11-03-18, 09:25 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by scale
I really like those SLRs. I dont know where they fall in the line up but i assumed likely a step above ALTUS but below XT> I believe they are the best value.
I dont see much of anything in the way of USED cantis at the coops and used shops i frequent. Mostly i think this is due to so many small parts and it is hard to make a set of 4 that is complete. Ebay ...most of that stuff is Deore XT and XTR and that is quite spendy stuff. I love the good gear for my bikes too but on some level i will trade utilty/function for fancy high end. Sure the high end is great stuff but......i do like to see that go to folks that are doing full restores and will pay a premium for NOS and good high end stuff. I have always been a upper middle of the road guy. I know when i use the best good stuff out there i feel quite guilty when it gets "used"....scratched etc. I dont know why
SLR is "Shimano Linear Response." It was Shimano's system of putting lighter return springs in conjunction with sprung levers. The model number is stamped on the back of the arm- the SLR decal just shows they're SLR compatible. The brakes pictured on the fork are MT-62 Deore/Deore DX, one step below XT, but the brakes in the 'brake collection' picture are Deore XT M732 brakes- although they look pretty much identical.

My secret plan for my next bike build is to use the XT M732s in the front and the XTR M900s in the rear- Nothing wrong with mixing and matching as long as it "matches" for you.

As far as the old "good stuff." Part of what makes that stuff awesome is that it can be sanded and polished when it does get scuffed. The brakes above were pretty scuffed up and shined up really really nice. I got these M730 cranks- I think they were like $25-30- scuffed up. A little sandpaper and Mother's polish and they look sweet. I'm really bad at capturing that- but they look really good.

1990 Miyata 1000LT by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

I paid a little more for these Avocet cranks, but after sanding off the anodizing and sanding out the scuffs and polishing them- they turned out really sweet.

1986 Trek 400 Elance by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.