View Single Post
Old 11-04-18, 08:09 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1830 Post(s)
Liked 3,393 Times in 1,586 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Truth be told, I didn't know one Weinmann from another, and a complete NOS set was for sale on the 'Bay, with all the nuts, bolts, cable, housing, levers, calipers, etc, so I just went for that. They are sure heavier than the 600AX, but fit the look. I can always swap them out once I know what to look for. Thanks for the tip on the 500's.

That is an early DA 7200 crank set, and it came with the bottom bracket that was in good shape. It's actually pretty darn light, a lot lighter than the Suntour GPX or Sachs Rival that I'd considered.

Hi-E hubs are being laced to rims, so I'll lose a bit of weight in the wheels, despite the fairly heavy 5sp 13-21 freewheel. I may check those out, too, but the Regina's to which I've been recommended are fairly expensive.
The Weinmann 500's were fairly low status brakes, not unlike their centerpulls. You can find them on a lot of basic Schwinn models of the day, IIRC.
I wonder if there is a sexier lightweight brake, though.

The Hi-E hubs are fun and light, and are USA made, so they are a nice match for the Titan. ... I wonder how much other lightweight American stuff you could put on the frame? I'm sure someone has done a project like this, though. Between Phil Wood, Hi-E, Weyless, and maybe even Pino Moroni (sp?), you could end up with a really cool bike!

Steve in Peoria (I used to have a Hi-E tubular rim.. too bad I got rid of it)