View Single Post
Old 11-06-18, 12:47 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnUSA
I have my road bike’s seat height set to a good height, and I just bought a gravel bike so I’d like to be able to transfer my seat height to the new bike. I have the same seat setback on both bikes, and both bikes have the exact same saddle.

My road bike has SPD-SL three bolt road cleats, and I have Pearl Izumi carbon fiber shoes. My gravel bike has SPD two bolt mountain bike pedals with Shimano XC7 mountain bike shoes.

What’s the difference in stack height between those two pedals? Basically, how much higher or lower should I set my gravel bike seat to equal the same height as my road bike seat?

Thanks,

John
Based on my seat-of-the-pants measurements, my road shoes are slightly thicker, with the 3-bolt cleat, than the recessed 2-bolt on my 'MTB' shoes. Pedal thickness is within +/- 1.5 mm between my single- and double-sided 2-bolt pedals and my plastic- and metal-bodied 'LOOK' pedals. When I 'retired' my old road bike to townie/path use, I definitely had to lower the saddle after I swapped the LOOKs for SPDs to make it comfortable.

I'd go with setting the BB-to-saddle top the same, then actually get on the bike, and see how it rides. Things like the TT length, stem, and stack height will probably affect how you choose your final setup.

It's not a big deal to make a saddle-height adjustment on a bike with a conventional seat post. Bring your 5mm allen key with you.
This is a gravel bike, right, so it's not one of those cut-to-fit seat masts like a TT bike. Don't need to think so hard.