Old 11-07-18, 03:01 PM
Super D

Bikes: Canyon Road, Argon18 TT, DF Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
IMHO, the best and most accessible dedicated track front wheel is the Zipp 808 Track. Any LBS can order it. It’s moderately (and fairly) priced at $1,100 (if my memory is correct).

It has published wind tunnel results and is considered by experts to be as fast as the reference $3,000 Mavic Io.

It also has high resale value.
What is the functional difference in the track vs road version of the 808 tub? Higher flange hub, shorter spokes, marginally stiffer, all reasonable assumptions? If so, is it something a non-pro would feel or benefit from? I absolutely beat on my 404s on the road, training, racing, sprinting like I stole it, etc and they were stiff as Ricky Bobby's schween in that bar scene. I'm imagining the 808 road but would be okay for track for a mere mortal such as myself? Or, if there's a worthwhile difference, how would you describe?

Separately, any thoughts on the FFWD 3-spoke as a front wheel option? Stiff, fast, good for track, or something to avoid? I'm looking at the design and imagining that in a low-clearance fork, the vertical/non-angled spokes passing through fork blades, along with larger cutouts than a 5-spoke, may be an issue in that they could generate a reverberating pattern of high- and low-pressure airflow. The angled spokes, and smaller cutouts, in a 5-spoke may alleviate those issues, but again, would a non-pro realize the difference? And is the difference miniscule?