Old 11-10-18, 11:45 PM
JaxOhm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a few years behind the OP in age. Enjoyed bicycling all throughout my youth, but it eventually gave way to racquetball and motorcycles. Fast forward thirty years and a few motorcycle get-off's along the way, and I found myself with a partially torn meniscus. I'd just had two foot surgeries from one of the more serious motorcycle events. Combined they took away about a year of my healthy normal gettin-around life to recovery. I can't complain...could have been far worse. So the idea of yet another surgery and possibly another 6 months of recoup to completely normal (varies according to tear and procedure), my surgeon said I might do fine if I limited my exercise to low-impact activities. The big three are swimming, rowing, and bicycling. Two wheels always close to my heart, especially with a motor added, I decided to go back to bicycles, but came right up against the brick wall of being in piss-poor condition, and living in a hilly city. Enter the eBike option. A big investment, yes, but one test ride had me hooked. Steep hills were no longer a daunting sight, and I quickly was back to my youthful aggressive riding style, with added street savvy of having been over thirty years on motorcycles in urban traffic. About four and a half years later I have over 16,000 miles on my Ohm eBike. I'm on my third battery and just killed my first motor. I'd say that riding like I do 3K-4K miles/year in all four seasons, my experience has been that it is definitely NOT the money-saving mode of transportation some dealers might want people to think. The high cost of admission, the price of replacement batteries, and higher maintenance in general all add up quickly. That combined with the technology is very much I tried to ballpark it, and was looking at about .40 cents a mile if my calculations are accurate.