View Single Post
Old 11-11-18, 01:59 AM
Tamiya

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
This is an old trick. If the rim is bent tot the side, it must be re-bent to approximately straight or it will require constant uneven spoke tension to keep it true. So, given that bent rim, the mechanic would tell the customer to come back in 4 hours. Customer leaves, mechanic takes the wheel, loosens the spokes around the bend, inflates the tire, then slams the wheel done on a concrete step (so all contact is with that tire). Return the spokes to original tension, tweak a bit and done. Properly done, that wheel will probably roll until it dies of natural causes. 10 minutes. You just cannot let the customer see the process! (Wheel will almost certainly have a small wave or two at the repair, but it often doesn't affect riding.)
thanks Ben! Yeah that's the general idea... I just avoid anywhere "concrete"

I'd rather massage it back using planks of wood & broomsticks as levers, pressing down with body weight is more than enough to bend most mild steel with lots of control

ripple at braking surface, I try to roll out with a broomstick - put broomstick at peak of dent, wedge the end at the hub under spoke lip then press rim against stick to smoothen the high spots. Low spots might need drifting out from inside... short lengths of broomstick cut at a slant into chisels make good drifts.

Definitely don't let any civilians watch you bashing their pride & joy back into shape