View Single Post
Old 11-15-18, 08:50 AM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfpack95
I’m much more into comfort vs speed these days so I’m thinking the 56 might actually be a better fit given my older age and neck issues. Am I completely off base here?
Six ft., short torso, long legs. My first Domane was professionally fit at Trek in 2013, at a 58 with what became 6cm of drop. Reach was perfect with a 110 stem. The Emonda I picked up four years later is a 56, and now has 9cm drop (again pro fit by a PT), but I needed an 80 stem to get the reach right. This year's Domane is a 56 with a 100 stem (headtube angle different from the Emonda), again fit at Trek. In keeping with the endurance nature of the frame, I'm only running 5cm of drop on the Domane. In every respect, I like the smaller frame on both the new bikes. And even though my flexibility has stayed pretty good at 62, my reach seems to be shrinking, and stretching out for the hood/drops does not feel as stable. OP: with neck issues to boot, it would not surprise me if the 56 didn't feel just fine for you, even with the shorter stem.