Old 11-15-18, 12:29 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
...However, I think we're to a point where there is just not a lot of benefit of DT shifters over the brifters. And, even less so if one tosses in Di2/EPS.
In my opinion, the electric shifting scenario (especially with it's associated higher cost and occasional reliability issues) puts friction DT levers on an even higher relative level, all things considered.
Same with internal cabling and the much-maligned frequent failure of cables in today's integrated shifters.
I've known many fellow riders who missed rides due to either their cable having failed or because of an electric power failure.
On one recent morning ride, at our first re-group, the man I was speaking with collapsed with a full cardiac arrest incident as we were talking. We had an emergency-room doctor on our ride who actually was not present at that point because his cable had failed inside of his integrated shifter during the first few miles. It was only the arrival within a minute of a rider schooled in nursing care who was able to diagnose his condition and begin the correct life-sustaining actions.
And I have been at several rides where an arriving rider soon departed for home before even getting out of the parking lot because of no electrical power to his/her shifting aparatus.
And riders with downtube levers more often are able to maintain their shift cabling at home (versus down-time and skipped rides as integrated-shifted bikes sit in the shop).