Old 11-15-18, 01:53 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
[QUOTE=dddd;20664614]
Originally Posted by livedarklions
...Look, I'm not saying you're wrong for appreciating the aspects of biking that you do, but denigrating the enthusiasm of people who don't share that particular appreciation is the phoniest-looking kind of snobbishness...QUOTE]

No "denigration" of any kind expressed, implied or intended.

I didn't mean to criticize any rider buying newer "better" stuff, or having others maintain their bike on a tight schedule, since those things are good for the bike industry and enthusiasts often like to try different, even newer stuff.

Just saying that riders in many cases have rediscovered the virtues of older shifting apparatus, and will likely continue to do so. I've built quite a few bikes for such people.

And I'm sure you do fine work, and it's great that people appreciate it. I just think you took a really bad turn when you tried to distinguish enthusiasts from riders on the basis of their appreciation of any particular piece of equipment.

There's a lot of people out there doing some pretty great riding on bikes you or I would consider absolute piles of junk, I always love meeting them on the road from time to time.