Old 11-15-18, 03:14 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,498 Times in 4,194 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
I think that you may have hinted at the true difference between a rider/driver and an enthusiast.
Some of us enjoy the added dimension or challenge of friction shifting, AND are aware of key benefits that non-enthusiasts rarely even imagine.

When I first tried returning to friction shifting after having built and ridden my first couple of bikes having integrated shifters, my first reaction actually was that "one can never go back" to adjusting to the added dimension of skill needed to engage in one's most spirited riding efforts.
But I kept at it in the interest of correctly restoring a few bikes and discovered that I had been very wrong about that!

These days I alternate between bikes having every common type of shifting system, and have no difficulty at all adjusting to and enjoying the ride that goes with any of them.
But as I mentioned, each has it's own best combination of chain and cogs that exploit the benefits of the particular system.
And even the friction-shifted stem shifters are great to have along on a spirited training ride once the rider has acclimated to the use of them in widely-varying conditions.
The rider after all is extremely adaptable if not limited by pre-conceived opinion or by closed-mindedness.

Several years ago I purchased an old 10-speed bike for which I had a very good old replacement wheelset at the ready. The frame and the good wheels were both spaced 120mm and the old Phil hubs were not spaced for even the added width of an Ultra-6 freewheel, so I gambled on another strategy that might permit spirited riding in hilly terrain at the challenging pace of my familiar riding companions.
The chainrings on this late-60's bike happened to be the familiar 52-36t which was very common in those days, so I built up a custom 5sp Uniglide freewheel having ratios just tight enough to work well with the DT friction levers (13-15-17-20-24t).
So I then had the range I needed and only had to learn to do a one-handed double-shift whenever I used the front derailer in more-spirited riding conditions.
It didn't take long to validate my presumption, and the old Simplex derailers worked snappily enough (after some cage-pivot spring tension adjustment) to support my efforts.
It did require that I know how adjust the derailer's chain gap, and did require that good-performing chain and freewheel cogs were used, as well as the usual attention to shifter lubrication and good cabling. But the rider-adaptation was learned within a few rides, and the bike worked well over a subsequent 3,000 miles. I still have the bike, and ride it occasionally, with no problem in re-adapting to it's operating parameters (which, as an enthusiast, I find to be an entertaining challenge).

Yes, I did say spirited riding.
Non-enthusiasts need not apply!
I wanted to tldr, but decided to read all this...and feel like that dude from Billy Madison saying 'may God have mercy on your soul. If you don't get the reference, you are missing out. It's a funny reference to your post.

anyways- great, awesome, cool that you lile DT shifters. Nobody wants to take them away, no need to defend yourself.

1- I didn't read any 'key benefits' of DT shifting. Can you just bullet point them so its clear?
2- your entire story about DT shifting and that old clubman is neat, but it's hardly commonplace and this thread started because the OP thinks indexed DT shifting should make a comeback.
That is what so many have disagreed with- DT shifting making a comeback, as in being spec'd on new bikes. Very few people are going to go to the lengths you went to get a Clubman up and running. That simply isnt an interest for most. I like it, but it's clear that most(both here and in person) dont have an interest in doing that.

recreational riders want convenience and comfort, which means SIT shifting. Competitive riders want performance and comfort, which means STI shifting.
a small segment of geeks wants DT shifters, just like a small segment of geeks likes bar end shifter(I am one) and an even smaller segment of geeks likes Gevenalle shifters(I am one).

We do not represent the masses. DT shifters making a comeback should not happen. Its that simple.