Old 11-15-18, 04:33 PM
radroad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by specialgreen
I agree that these are the "low-end" of motorized transport. That said, I think there are big benefits to reducing vehicle weight from 2 tons to 50 lbs, so I'm in favor of increased use (when it reduces car use).

In my state (Minnesota), pedal-assist e-bikes (and electric scooters etc) are limited to 20mph. Those need no license at all to operate today. 50cc motor scooters are limited to 30mph, and require a normal car driver's license. So, if state gov'ts decided to license e-bikes, I expect it would be the same as 50cc scooters, and would not require a motorcycle endorsement.

I think that the states will need to work harder to classify new personal transit electrified devices. For example, you can probably ride an electric Vespa at 30 mph with a with a normal driver's license. But there is no legal way to ride an e-bike at 30mph, even with a motorcycle endorsement (you would first need to get a motorcycle license plate and insurance!).

People will need to decide what the limits should be for e-vehicle use of bike paths/greenway: No electrics? Electrics only permitted with a Handicap/Limited Mobility sticker? Pedal-assist only for bicycles? (but then what about foot scooters, which have no pedals?) 15mph limit? 20 mph limit? Once that is done, they will need to decide what modes of transport require which kind of driver's license.

I ride my pedal bike faster than 15mph (despite my city's 14mph "speed limit" on bike paths), so I think a 20mph limit on bike paths is appropriate for anything without a license plate. I think anything with a license plate needs turn signals, brake lights and insurance, and should be able to go 35mph on city streets with a regular drivers license. (this is 5mph faster than today's 50cc scooter laws).
It's all so confusing right now. Not to mention in NYC e-bikes are illegal but are ridden everywhere in the city.