Old 11-17-18, 04:57 AM
ripkin
1st Year Commuter

Bikes: Trek Farley 9, Kona Sutra LTD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Comfortable clothing for cycling *when it’s snowing*?

Hey all,

Was debating whether to post in commuting vs. winter biking— decided to do it here, since commuting is the main reason I usually cycle due to limitations in my free time on weekends.

I live in an area where it snows—a lot. Not just like, once every 10 days. Almost every day. And sometimes it’s flurries, but sometimes it’s that heavy wet snow you see in snowstorms, but only for a few hours a day. During November - April, there can be snow every other day, and on days when you don’t think it’ll snow, so you leave the house with certain gear, but pretty much by the afternoon/evening (commuting back home) it might be snowing pretty heavily...

Was thinking about just making sure I’ve always got a couple extra layers—and then on top some kind of windproof or waterproof shell. But this honestly seems like a lot of work, and then I just thought about whether snow pants and a puffy jacket would be easier.

Is this just purely a preference thing (Your Mileage May Vary, etc), or is there a general consensus in the community about what is generally easier/more comfortable. My commute is about 45 min in dry weather and maybe 90 min in pretty heavy active snow (11 miles each way, with about 20% of that thru the woods/singletrack, 30% gravel, and 50% paved MUP/roads, but the paved MUP is groomed in the winter for cross country skiing, so I’ve got studded tires on my fatbike now).

Thanks for any advice/experiences people can provide!

Last edited by ripkin; 11-17-18 at 06:10 PM. Reason: typos!