View Single Post
Old 11-17-18, 09:34 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
No it doesn't. You just need to htfu and stop letting unfounded anxiety guide your decision making.

Look, if you want to argue you like hydraulics, fine. No problem, fill yer boots. It's a lot like paint colour. However, if you want to argue you "need" them for touring because those other brakes aren't good enough I call B.S.

But the sentiment is not unique - many people who engage in outdoor pursuits are at times unsure of their abilities and seek an equipment solution as a buffer against that fear. The solution is not to encourage the irrational need for such gear but rather the acquisition of some skill.

In another recent thread someone suggested a Chris King headset and BB's were sort of a minimum for all season touring. Guess what, I call B.S. on that too.

There is a big difference between want and actual need.
You’re saying someone who uses disk brakes only does so due to an unfounded anxiety, fear, and lack of skill?

Jesus christ this thread just went to a whole new level of garbage fire.

I agree about the CK headset not being basic need these days. That’s just silly. It would also be silly to say that of disk brakes. That doesn’t mean someone is anxious, afraid, and trying to compensate for lack of skill by enjoying nice equipment. Maybe you should work on your lack of skill and stop relying on your fancy cantilevers. People got along just fine in all sorts of weather with rear coaster brakes.

I purpose we aggressively talk about leather seats next!

Last edited by 3speed; 11-18-18 at 05:08 PM.