Old 11-18-18, 10:18 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Klein and Cannondale transformed aluminum into almost as good as steel for a significant price increase and lower durability.

This is a big part of why current metal bikes often ride so poorly compared to the frames from the 1990s and earlier. Designing bikes to pass a machine fatigue test has led to oversize tubing and a move away from what made bicycles so great that was learned through decades of trial and error. Now we have a ton of bikes that suck to ride but hey they'll last forever or at least pass 100,000 cycles on this here testing jig

I see this as nothing less than anti-steel propaganda to increase market share for new non-steel frame material. It would not surprise me in the least if this was another example of "Studies show sugar is a super important part of the human diet" (Paid for by a grant from Sugar Industry LLC).
This post is entirely subjective.

Ride quality is as well.

I have a steel folder that rides a bit too softly. (its a great video rig though)

Some riders prefer a stiff bike, some prefer a softer bike, its all personal preference.

Steel has its place, but its clearly reached its limit.

Last edited by SHBR; 11-18-18 at 10:25 PM.