View Single Post
Old 11-19-18, 04:16 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
People that don't know why materials are chosen for their qualities can speculate until the cows come home because they don't get it and likely never will. Steel is heavy and if you built it light its as whippy as a willow tree in the wind.

Enjoy your steel bike and I am sure you do. But for performance, if not choosing carbon fiber, its Al and not steel or Ti. Find a guy with a beard to make you one of the latter.
1- Yes steel is heavier than aluminum, typically. No it isnt as whippy as a willow tree in the wind if built light. 'Light' is relative, as its a heavier material. Of course, if you build an aluminum frame with tubes that arent overly massice(stiff) and it too will be whippy as a willy tree in the wind. Kinda true for both materials.
But this really isnt why I responded.

2- I have seen you comment on guys with beards when it comes to titanium and steel frames. Whats the deal there? Are you evoking some sort of stereotype imagery that is meant to be insulting? Based on your posts, I am guessing so, but cant figure it out since the 3 steel framebuilders I have met are all beardless.
Would love to know why the comment should be insulting because its just nothing right now.