View Single Post
Old 11-19-18, 05:35 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18451 Post(s)
Liked 4,562 Times in 3,389 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
Looking back, it is the Shimano R700 that I was thinking of. Not actually women specific but if you read around here and other forums many women recommended them for small hands to be able to wrap around the hood/brakes. But those are 10 years old so possibly there are newer options that are just as good
Hmmm... I see they come with the wedges. They don't look much different from the other Shimano levers. Perhaps a little more compact than more vintage 6500 or so series levers.

But, it is hard to judge from a photo. I don't think I have any of those laying around here.

I probably have enough spares around here that I could do some comparison between other models, although

They are listed as "short reach" and for "small hands". 10 speed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-ST-...d/123484264284

The hoods listed seem to be for multiple models of brakes.

Searching on E-Bay, Microshift comes up with several levers designated as "short reach" or "short pull". If one uses a short pull lever with a medium pull brake caliper, then the lever will have more range of movement, but less force at the lever, and more at the caliper.

One other thought. I'm not a big fan of training kids to use interrupter brakes (I'd rather they find the normal drop bar brakes). But, this might be a case when interrupter brakes would be of benefit.

They usually aren't that big, so one may not get a lot of leverage. They may also have the reach adjustable (screw?). But, it may be enough.

Last edited by CliffordK; 11-19-18 at 05:42 PM.