Thread: Need Wheel help
View Single Post
Old 01-20-06, 10:24 AM
nycbikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have some Velocity rims around - purple, grey, and pink, though we do now use mostly Sun Rims. The Sun rims have internal eyelets which add strength (despite the rims being the same profile and lighter than the Deep-V's). We are proud to be the first who imported the formula hubs, and have been using them for three years. On our low end wheels we use the Suzue basic (some will slam these as spinning out easily - but in five years we haven't had problems, the Quandos look a lot like the Suzue basic and we stopped using them four years ago due to spin out problems).

We do charge ebay handling on pick-ups as we do on shipped items - ebay cost money and ebay parts are at the lowest possible price. Most of our stock is in an offsite warehouse (our whole shop is smaller than most shops display area) so it adds an extra step to make sure we have the item around for pick-up. Website purchases are a flat $5 for a parts order, obviously there are no tack ons if you buy web items at the shop.

Wheels are packed the same way we receive them from distributors. Any bike shop or knowledgeable mechanic will tell you that wheels must be trued when they come out of a box, and they must be trued again in a couple of weeks after a break in period. If the wheels arrive perfect it is only by the grace of god (wheels go into the box with a final true, but shipping stress...). The big caveat about purchasing online instead of at your lbs is that you take on the responsibilities that your mechanic normally takes care of.

As to the notices about us on the forum, I believe most are like the above - if they've dealt with us they're happy with the product for the price (usually lower than all our competitors), if they have never dealt with us they feel in the know to repeat "do a search - great product bad service." I am happy to respond to specific complaints from those who have actually purchased merchandise from us. An ebay search will show that we have over 2000 positive comments to less than 20 negatives.

And finally, forgive me if it takes a while to respond to e-mails. I run not only an up and coming brand that builds our own bikes, but I have a full service shop, and obviously a mail-order business. We are sometimes swamped because I won't hire people only to lay them off when business slows - sometimes it makes us grumpy too, but we will eventually respond (hint: if you don't get an immediate response, check the listing - usually the info you need is in there).

I wish all those riding fixed and single-speed fun and safety - and, get ready for the barrage - use a front brake! It's not only the law in most states, it's the responsible thing to do. The face you save may be your own, but it's more important to save the life and limbs of those you share the street with - you don't have a right to choose for them. Save the brakeless traditional approach for the oval where your fellow riders have a chance to choose.

Best Regards

Will Wood
owner, NYCBikes/spokes&strings