Old 11-21-18, 07:52 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
Yesterday I received a new wheel-set for disc brakes. The wheels come with both the QRs and thru axle set ups. I have never used thru axles before. It is my understanding that the main benefit of the TAs is the stiffening of the wheels and therefore less stress on the wheels when braking.Does that also mean that the braking is faster? Will a wheel stay true longer? Do the TAs make it more difficult and longer to fix a flat while out riding? If that is the case, would it make any sense, or for any other reason, to only use the TAs on the front wheel. Obviously, the front gets more stress when braking.than the rear wheel. I am waiting for rotors for the new wheels before I mount them and I am looking for input regarding the using of the TAs compared to the QRs. Thanks and I appreciate any input regarding these questions.
Thru axles, don't stiffen the wheels, but rather the forks, which makes for better control. Also, thru axles eliminate the theoretical possibility of hard disc braking forcing the axle out of the fork ends. FWIW, I'm not convinced that this is a real issue - I would challenge any braking to force a properly clamped-up wheel out of a lawyer-lipped fork.