View Single Post
Old 11-22-18, 01:38 PM
L Arnold 
**thusi*st

Bikes: Specialized Touring Expedition '1984, Volagi Liscio, Dahon Visc D18, Dahon Visc SL, Schwinn Moab

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have swapped QR hubed wheels on to the front of the Vitesse I7 which is the same as the Mariner D8. It works. My expeirence was that the skewer of the wheel sticks out a bit further than I would like and the gap on the dropout of the front fork is a bit bigger than I would like. I will likely swap it back. Alternatively I could shorten the skewer (or put a little nut over it), then rebuild the wheel on the back end of the bike (nexus hub) to match the upgraded wheel in the front.

It would be easiest to get a full wheel as you will need to rebuild your wheel anyway and, at least from Dahon, if you get a QR equipped wheel you also get a double walled rim. Double wall rims are important. Skewer length will likely be a slight issue on both ends.

Personally I think there are certain advantages to the nutted axles -- mainly a bit of strength and some security. Issues here focus on the the quality of the hub and the wheel attached.

Rebuilding a few wheels now. This will likely encourage me to do a few more.