View Single Post
Old 11-24-18, 09:57 PM
flamencohead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by flamencohead
Last Spring my pride and joy 1992 Trek 990 was stollen. Over the years, I modernized it with a Magura Durin fork an XTR 952 drivetrain and such. It was a wonderful bike.

I recently picked up a 1991 Trek 970, or should I say parts of one, that I have been building up with a mix of old and new components. The fork is a Surly 1 x 1 and the brakes are Tektro 720s, but I'm trying to keep the drivetrain as close to period as possible (XT 730). Will post a picture as soon as I have my new member 10 posts under my belt :-)
Now that I have my 10 posts, here is my current Trek 970 project. I picked it up as someone else's abandoned project on eBay for $150. The frame, wheels, tires and some components were usable but the rest was a mish-mash and had to go. After going through the parts, this and the wheels/tires is what I started with.
Having had a highly customized Trek 990 for years, I wanted to keep this one close to it's original nature so I started scouring eBay for XT m730 components. I found m730 levers, shifters and pedals for the initial build and am on the lookout for an m730 crankset as well. The brakes are new Tektros which will give me the option of converting to 650b later. Here is the initial build as I'm currently riding it.
The bike did not come with the original Trek "Big Fork", and the one that I got with the bike really was too big. It threw the geometry off. I ended up using a non-corrected Surly 1x1 canti fork and am really happy with it. The axel to crown length is really close to the Big Fork.

The bike is undergoing a couple of changes soon. The tires are servicable but a bit heavy cruisers. I'm replacing them with Maxxis DTH tires. The original steel handlebars are also being replaced with a new set of Soma Clarence bars.

Last edited by flamencohead; 11-24-18 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Typo