J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
refresh my memory, what double setup did you have that you felt wasnt shifting well to the big ring? Was it 10 or 11 speed.
I assume you are using trigger shifters, what ones?

when you say you had diff shifting to the big ring, how specifically was it difficult? Hard to know (impossible really) on the interwebs and not doing the shifting myself to really get an idea of what you mean. One persons "difficult shifting" is another persons "no problem".

Im certainly not the right person for current systems recommendations, my troll is 9 speed triple, my wifes stock troll is that 10 speed 48/36/26 deore stock crankset that I put deore 10spd trigger shifters on to replace the thumbies that come with the stock bike, and I imagine 10 speed mtb triples like 44/32/24 or whatever they were are harder to find nowadays.

I have to ask also, do you plan to keep the bike or to sell it?
if not keeping it cuz you'll be using the ecr, then making it useable and letting someone else do what they want with it is always an option.

I figure there is always going to be a market for a troll for folks looking to do long trips far away, they are incredibly versatile bikes and those people know it.
The rear shifter is a Sram X1 11-speed, and the front shifter is a Sram GX. The cassette is a Shimano 11-42. I think what I'll do is to get the Wolf Tooth 49T cog, and just keep it 1x11 for now. I'm getting 18.9 low and an 84.3 with this combo. Perhaps later I will explore a whole different setup, but I got other fish to fry at the moment. Besides, it's darn expensive to swap out new components for new components. Christmas is coming, yada yada yada. I do intend to keep it, but its probably best to try it out and tune it as I go. I love my ECR, but the Troll will be my rig for fully-loaded touring.