Old 11-25-18, 11:49 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,601 Times in 1,764 Posts
Thanks for the kind words, guys. Much appreciated!

While I'm at it, here's some information on the Devos brand.

There were several Devos shops in Belgium, but I coudn't find anything on this one until I had the bike in my hands and noticed "Handzame" on the headbadge. Handzame is a small town in the Flemish Westhoek region. And as it turns out, the Westhoek has a wonderful historical website, with a lot of old pics. Including many of Handzame and the Devos shop.

From this, its history can be more or less reconstructed. The pictures are linked from the above-mentioned website, where you can find bigger copies.

Sometime before the Great War pub owner Jules Devos opened a shop in 'Velos en Naaimachienen' (bicycles and sewing machines) in a corner of his pub.

Here Jules (on the right, with flat cap) posing in front of his pub in September 1913:

At some point during the interbellum Jules's son Adhemar took over the business. The pub was replaced by a new building, where the focus was on the bike business.

Adhemar Devos in front of his successful shop with wife and child in 1942:

In 1945 the pub is closed, and the building is completely dedicated to the bike business:

Devos sponsored a cycling team from 1947 to 1954. Here's a happy Adhemar with two of his prize winners:

It looks like in the early days Devos may have built their own frames, but I get the impression from the pictures that after WWII they were bought from other manufacturers (of which Belgium had quite a few).

Check out the plastic-wrapped frames behind a certain Emperor of Herentals, who visited the shop in 1969:

Another shot of the same shop, at the opening of the new showroom in 1969. Nr 5 is Gerda Devos, Adhemar's daughter who would take over the shop when he retired.

Devos also sponsored the local riding club. Adhemar is nr 2 on the left. The bike on the left in this picture from the eighties looks familiar:

Gerda ran the shop until her death in 2008. After that the building has been sold a couple of times to real estate developers. Latest plans I've found spoke of turning it into apartments.

Lastly, my favorite Devos picture. The rider is Roger Olivier, on a Devos. No date, but I estimate it was taken around 1950. Check out the details here.