Old 11-27-18, 02:21 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Have you given up the car?
Originally Posted by noglider
Thank goodness this is the commuting section, not the living car free section where things get to get acrimonious.

Living car free isn't important for most of us. It's not a measure of virtue, at least not to me
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
for sure. and that's what our lone car primarily is: the family hauler.

my wife does use it from time to time to do site visits for her job, but she works from home 80% of the time...

it does also help with getting the kiddos over to daycare in inclement weather. their day-care is only a 1/2 mile away so my wife usually just walks the kids over there most days, but if it's pouring rain or 3 degrees out, the car is a nice luxury to have available.

one of our car's main duties is transporting us up to the western burbs of milwaukee where my wife's parents and her two sisters and their families all live. …

sometimes cars just make the most sense for all of the reasons
Originally Posted by Phamilton
My wife and I went car-free Sept 2017. …I agree with others about avoiding the LCF sub-forum. I suspect that most of the “car-free” posters there probably aren’t really car-free, and have my doubts about how many of them even ride actual bicycles.

The longer I’ve been car-free, the stronger my suspicions/doubts.
Originally Posted by Phamilton
And also also, we didn't go car-free until we had one kid left living at home and she was 12. When there were 5 of us, we used a minivan and drove everywhere.

We wouldn't have gone car free had we had more kids at home still and/or they were younger. Not in this area.
There is a single thread on the Regional Discussion Forum, “Metro Boston:Good ride today”, with over 7800 posts, that I have called the de facto Metro Boston Forum.

Similarly it seems that this thread is becoming the de facto “Living Car Light” Forum (in disctinction to the de jure “Living Car Free” Forum). .

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-27-18 at 02:26 PM.