View Single Post
Old 11-27-18, 04:07 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
There is still no connection to GM and the back lash that cities are having with Escooters and Ebikes dropped at random anywhere on a city street or sidewalk.
GM and other transportation companies are in the precarious position of solving the problems they have created. GM seems to be planning for a future of reduced car ownership by the look of their current factory closure plans, and there are going to be pressures on them to try to increase business to save jobs or rehire people who get laid off. Imo, the solution is to create more low-paying jobs, because that would ease the burden on consumers without driving up unemployment. After all, why would everyone want to spend as much as people spend on driving to not drive?

I don't even think most people ever wanted to spend that much money on driving to begin with, but they didn't think they had alternatives.

And because the problem is just as bad in China as in the US it cannot be blamed on GM or the automotive industry. And besides if I and 9 out of 10 households in the US can buy our own vehicle to drive on highways how hard can it be for the 1 to 5 percent to buy their own scooter or Ebike? It sounds like the bigger complaint is that not everything is free to use. I suspect if cars we free to just step into and go where people wanted there would be no mass transit or scooters and maybe Ebikes. I will say it again, people don't want to do things the hard way except maybe for entertainment.
Cars & pavement per capita should keep dropping for environmental/climate reasons, and maybe the easy way to reduce driving is for people to move closer to work or work closer to home. You seem to think that the sprawl-driving paradigm is unchangeable, but you can't go on denying the problems it causes forever.