View Single Post
Old 12-01-18, 05:31 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7666 Post(s)
Liked 3,529 Times in 1,857 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
And if your biggest fear is that someone might be riding a ladened down cargo bike at 18mph, I think that is all we need to know on how big of a problem this actually is. Getting hit by my 215# butt plus a 30# bike at 18mph is gonna hurt more than 150# person on a 75# bike. If speed is a concern, Anythign that can be propelled over 15mph should be banned. We can all ride low geared cruisers on trails.
Originally Posted by livedarklions
What makes you think the rider is limited to 150# and the bike with cargo 75? I've definitely seen much heavier going 20 mph on a path. This is a different class of vehicle, and it's going to get worse as the motor technology improves.
Unclear on the concept.

The "concept" as it were, is that the impact will be enough if it is me hitting you (eighth of a ton, lately) no matter what i am riding .... and likely a 150-pound guy going 25 or 28 is going to be even worse. The issue is not that loaded ebikes are going to be going to fast ... the issue is getting hit by Anything going 15-25 mph while you are riding or walking.

And as we all know, that happens to you a lot, right? i mean, you get into a collision on the road or trail ... what, wait .. never?

So this is just a frightened fantasy, no more real than alien abduction or attack by ghosts .... okay.

I'll tell you what ... you post ten pictures of people doing 20+ mph on 400-pound rigs on your local trails and we will have a discussion about that.

We will Not have a discussion about your ten worst nightmares. See a professional about that.