View Single Post
Old 12-02-18, 08:17 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
I've been wrenching on a bike for a friend of my family's (they work with her). She had unfortunately forgot that she had her very nice 58cm carbon Trek 5200 (9-speed Ultegra so circa 2000 or so) on top of her car and the high-fiving with the garage/house did not go well. So we found a slightly smaller (she had complained of being a little stretched out) Planet-X RT-80 carbon road frameset (SUPER light!) and she drove up from PDX to have me swap parts as she would be taking it on a Christmas and extended vacation to ride. She had been wanting to parts swap for a while, ever since the accident months ago, but had never got around to seeing how it could be done. My mom suggested me, and here we are. I couldn't get the frame done in time, and the woman I was doing this for needed to get back to PDX before she fell asleep (had been tired from the day before), so the bike is with me and I plan on finishing it up by tomorrow. The accident threw us a few curve balls but everything is transferring over well. A new shorter stem, compact drop bars, and 9-speed shifters (her 9-speed Ultegra STIs were missing shifts) will go a very long way in having her fit the bike much better and more comfortably. She's excited about it (great!) and I'm excited to help someone get back on their bike and have their biking experience be (hopefully) better than before!

I gotta finish up my 1990 Cannondale ST400 though. Thankfully we have a long (COLD!) dry spell coming up so I can just ride pretty bikes, albeit with gloves. The Cannondale is shaping up quite nicely.