Old 12-03-18, 05:39 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
[QUOTE=big john;20685680][QUOTE=Biker395;20685110]
But that being said, there are advantages
  • No wear of the rim (although I've never had a wheel go south because the rim wore out ... it has always been the spokes or the hubs)
When I lived in the mountains I rode a rim-braked mtb in the snow and wet. I could tell when a rim was shot when it started thumping on a low spot when braking.
I've been with riders when the brake surface has blown off the wheel from being worn thin.
I tried those peel and stick patches and had them blow off from the heat of braking on steep descents.
On long, wet rides in the mountains I go through the pads quickly (road or mtb) and have had that thick, black aluminum slurry all over everything. When you ride off-road in the snow the snow builds up on top of the pads and constantly melts onto the brake surface, bringing sand with it.
People say rim brakes are always strong enough for road riding but when I descend Potrero or Westlake blvd I wish for more power, but I am over 200 #.
The rim brakes on my Seven (Mavic with Chorus levers) are the best I've tried, but I wonder if some good discs would be stronger. I'm sure whatever small weight difference there is would be negligible.
Several people in my club have high-end disc roadbikes and I've asked about them and heard nothing but positive replies.
Oh, no doubt if you are riding in wet conditions, discs are a better way to go. I ride a lot in fog and sand and I may get discs on my next commuting bike for that reason.

I've often mused at the fact that the total weight the brakes are expected to haul to a stop could vary from 120 to well over 250 pounds, but pretty much all bikes are fitted with the same brakes. It makes no sense to me. Granted, the 250 pounder can probably generate more force on the pads, but ....

Have you tried different pads to get better braking on rim brakes? I was shocked how much of a difference KoolStop pads made compared to the standard Shimano pads.