genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
There is no need for the "probably," you could read the letters. Most are actually from the driving public, though there are a significant number from the cycling public as well. Remember though, that letters in forums, blogs, and the editorial page are not necessarily representative of the entire public. The volume and subject of these posts simply point out that this subject is one which raises emotions on both sides.

Like I said in the OP, you can sing your song, but bring something new to the table. What personal experiences have you had where bike lanes were reinforcing the notion of a obligation to stay out of the way, and why do you think this behavior was caused by bike lanes specifically? You have spoken very little about your 30+ years of experience, surely in that time and in your cycling in other states and countries you have some tales to tell which allowed Forester's (and other's) words to ring so true. I want a discussion on these topics, but one grounded in personal experiences and not on theory and semantics.

Actually unfortunately I can testify that the reactions of some motorists are quite along the line that HH mentions... and I do support BL for fast busy roads. I do not support BL for roads under 35MPH.

I have heard motorists yelling at me to "get in the BL" when said BL did not even exist... it was only the fog line along a particular road that in a short distance turned into several right turn lanes. The motorist did not care, they saw a wide striped area and determined that I should be "over there" vice in "their" lane... never mind that there were two lanes and the traffic at the moment was quite light and I was not impeding their progress.

But along the same line, on a different road, at a different time... no BL involved, I have been "commanded" to "get on the sidewalk."

So my personal experience is that some motorists just want cyclists out of the way... period... they don't care... anything that makes them take their foot of the gas pedal is just too much for some folks. And this too can be illustrated... try driving down a multilaned road a just a few MPH below the speed LIMIT and watch the reactions of motorists behind you... Yup, the same rage and frustration... in spite of a lane or two to which they could move...

These folks will not be satisfied until they do own the road... period. There is no solution for them... That I know of.