View Single Post
Old 12-05-18, 08:33 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
I was recently gifted this beautiful Colnago Decor MTB from the brief period in the 90s when Colnago dabbled in mountain bikes.

The bike was originally outfitted with Campy MTB components, also only on the market for a brief period.
Anyway, to the story about the bike and how it came into my possession.
12 or 13 years ago, an elderly gentleman kept showing up at my shop, and every time I saw him, he would be riding a different bike.When I asked how many bikes he had, he couldn't tell me for sure, but he thought around 9 or 10.
At the time, I was doing a lot of IGH conversions, (my Shimano rep told me more than anyone in the country) and the gentleman was interested in trying one out. I installed a Shimano Alfine hub in one of his bikes, and he loved so much, he had me convert 3 more. This Colnago was one of them.
We struck up a friendship, he even worked for me part time, and he continued riding, but as his health declined, he rode less and less, and divested himself of the bulk of his bike collection.
Fast forward to a couple of months ago, my friend is now 83 years old, and has faced the sad reality that his declining health means his riding days are over. He was down to his last two bikes, which were his favorites, the Colnago, and a Rocky Mountain Metro, which I had also fitted with an Alfine hub.
His fondest wish was that these two bikes go to a good home, and he wanted me to have them. I was blown away to say the least, and while the frames are quite small for me, I am able to ride them comfortably with extended stem and seatpost, and to honor his wishes, they will stay in my stable forever.

I just received a call informing me that my friend who gave me this bike passed away this evening. It has now become even more special.