Old 12-06-18, 12:04 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Lets try that again. If the sun is in her eyes in a car, isn't it in everybody else eyes too? Second, if you suggest she can't see because she's being blinded, why is she still driving? Third, if the sun were in my eyes I'd make more of an effort to slow down and look out for people/things/etc. Do you see where I'm going with this?
I am not sure what world you live in, but I live in the real world where people don't do what they are supposed to do, like pull the car over for an hour until the sun goes down or until it clouds up. However, on a LEISURE ride, where I can go wherever I want to whenever I want to, I tend to avoid situations were the motorists coming up behind me are at a greater disadvantage than all of their normal BS behind the wheel. With the sun visor pulled down a motorist can not see very far up the road, and what they can see is full of glare. IF they are even looking through the windshield and being an A+ driver otherwise.

If you can't understand the concept of a sun visor limiting the view of the road up ahead, I can't help you. If you DO understand it, I can't make you change your cycling habits because of this "revelation".

As I stated before, when I am on long distance bike tours heading East, I wait until mid morning to set out so the sun is up a bit. When touring and heading West, I get the earliest start possible and call it quits before the sun gets low in the evening. It's really pretty simple to alter my behavior due to predictable weather/solar events that put motorists at further disadvantage for seeing me. You should certainly do whatever you want to. It's your skin.