View Single Post
Old 12-07-18, 09:11 PM
Buglady

Bikes: 2018 Ghost Square Trekking B2.8 e-bike; 2015 MEC Cote gravel/touring bike; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer, now outfitted as Winter Trundle-bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
I bought an e-bike in August and I have ridden it to work almost every single day since - the exceptions being three snowy days that happened before I could get my winter tires, in October (because Calgary).

I'm a bike mechanic and year-round commuter - or was, until a health issue two years ago took me off the bike for six months and left me with some chronic fatigue issues. (Endometriosis sucks, by the way). Riding to and from work was just not sustainable, no matter how hard I tried to get back into shape; I was well into overtraining territory, just day to day, which was incredibly frustrating.

Having a bike with pedal assist means I can ride up the hill to get home without exhausting myself and without taking an hour to cover 5km - it's an ugly hill, and I was stopping every 200 meters to catch my breath... This when I used to ride metric centuries on the weekends without batting an eyelash... frustration then turned it into even MORE of a slog and I was just miserable.

So. I'm still riding, still moving, and still rubber side down. And I am slowly, slowly starting to regain strength, I think! Certainly more than I would have if I had thrown in the towel and started driving or even walking/transit to work.